"A building can make a powerful impact, precisely with the simplicity of its style." This idea was imposed by the German architect Georgi Bonac during the six-month training of arch. Georgi Ovcharov, who won the competition announced by Sofia University for the building of the Faculty of Agriculture. Bonac has a strong influence on Ovcharov's creative style and in 1928 the building of the Faculty of Agronomy and Forestry (now the "Faculty of Biology"), located on Knyaz Simeon Tarnovski Street (now Dragan Tsankov Street 8), is a reality. . The building is one of the first creations of the architectural bureau "Ovcharov - Popov". Its construction received financial support not only from the country, but also from the Rockefeller Foundation, which until 1928 donated BGN 16 million for the completion of the main building.
The building stands out with its architectural style, highlighted by the use of grouted bricks as exterior plaster instead of mortar. The facade cladding is made of figured masonry, which has not been used before in Bulgaria and gives a different look. Ovcharov also inserts the so-called "hidden arches" - at first glance the wall looks flat, but on closer inspection these elements stand out. The different look is complemented by the high and narrow windows of the facade. The towers and arches in the exterior and interior create the atmosphere of a medieval castle. Inside, especially around the stairs, there is a real labyrinth of round and triangular niches, spacious auditoriums and cabinets, a rich library and museum collections.
It is no accident the assessment of the College of Architecture, which defines the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry as "the first most daring example of the unity of interior and exterior in our country." In 1998 the building has been declared a cultural monument of national importance.Sources: