Watchtower behind the Military Club
The main astronomical point of the state triangulation of Bulgaria - the yellow octagonal tower from 1920 behind the Military Club. The tower that put our country on the map of the world, which sounds exaggerated at first reading, but in fact it is. Through this tower Sofia / Bulgaria connects with the Greenwich meridian.
The tower was built in 1920. from the Geographical Institute of the Ministry of War of the Kingdom of Bulgaria as a geodetic observatory. The building is currently locked. The tower has been part of the military district of the Military Club since ancient times. The tower has been part of the military district of the Military Club since ancient times. More recent documents indicate that the tower is public state property, and the MoD is the owner who must manage it. However, the decision on the fate of the building is up to the Sofia Municipality - respectively, its fate will be decided by many factors that do not communicate effectively.
This was the highest place in the capital then - 552 meters above sea level and this height is reflected in a plaque placed on the temple-monument "Alexander Nevsky". That is - the highest place of the Sacred hill of Sofia.